Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Treasures on my doorstep

Thomas Hoving (in ‘Art for Dummies’) said that the key to becoming an art ‘connoisseur’ is to become ‘saturated’ and this he says one can only achieve by soaking up thousands of masterpieces.

Every single time after visiting an Art Museum, sculpture garden or even a special gallery, I feel as though someone took my core and moved it. When I travel to a distant city I make a point of visiting their Art Museum. But recently I came to realize that in the 5 years I’ve lived in the Midwest I’ve spent very little time in the local Art Museums.

So on Thursday my friend, Celeste and I drove to the Indianapolis Museum of Art. What an experience! After no real expectations I soon found myself in front of some of the most wonderful Rodin sculptures (as you can see in the image below), some of Gauguin’s work I have never seen before and then of course, highlight of my day: An ‘Untitled’ contemporary sculpture by Irwin, Robert (bottom right).

I feel that the more time I spend with the most amazing art ever created, the louder it speaks to me and the more I notice it’s effect on me… that night I have even been dreaming about some of the contemporary works we found on the third level …I cannot wait to go back!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Antoine, I have never visited the Indianapolis art museum. I am going to have to visit sometime soon. It looks like a really nice museum. I have visited Indianapolis many times, but never the art museum. Thanks for the interesting tidbit of information. We often miss beautiful things in our own backyards.

Michael